Wednesday, August 02, 2006
My Tree
OK I better explain my front yard scoreboard located on the left. My husband and I just bought our first house in June. We closed June 16 and moved in the friday after that. On saturday, our toilet overflowed and all the drains were slow. Welcome to homeownership!

What does this have to do with a tree?


A few phone calls, a day and a plumber later, we found out that the ginormous tree in our front yard has crushed our sewer pipe. The bad news? We have to pay for it. The good news? None.




Not only is the tree perilously located next to our foundation and roofline, but the canopy pretty much covers the entire house, front yard and driveway. This results in all sorts of things littering down: bird poo, bird nests, bird poo, bird eggs, bird poo, baby birds, bird poo, and leaves. I don't know if the birds were given an extra dose of stupid but they seem to fall out of their nests a lot. They cannot be placed back in their nests given the height of said nests and sheer number of them that are in the tree. Fifty million at last count.




I came across this sign on campus the other day. Perhaps somebody is trying to tell me something. I'm starting to think there is an avian conspiracy; somebody please intervene if I admit that I hear them talking to me.

And this is the saga of my front yard. The scoreboard keeps tally of me vs nature. Yes, mother nature may be winning now...but the score is about to be evened. For fear of my aging roofline and foundation, the tree is about to meet it's maker.



Stay tuned for updates. Things are about to get shaken up around here!


footer