Sunday, December 04, 2005
Our Kitchen is on a Roll
I was talking to my mom on the phone on Saturday afternoon when i heard a noise. It sounded like something tipped over and fell on the table or the floor...but not a "breaking" sound, like exploding pyrex. So while i'm still on the phone, i walk out to the kitchen/dining area. I don't see anything tipped over or on the floor. Hmm odd. Then I smell smoke. But I don't see smoke!

Now I'm already paranoid because of the recent pyrex incident so instinctively i look over the oven. Nothing is on. Nothing had been cooking...nothing in use. I am freaking out now. I hang up the phone and look frantically around for the source of the smoke. I see it wafting up near the ceiling...but where the HELL is it coming from??? I call Evan's cell (frantically) because he's out getting a haircut. He is sure going to be mad if I burn down our apartment, especially since he thinks I planned the pyrex incident to get some life insurance money.

No answer on the cell. Luckily he was just pulling up outside in his car. Like a dummy, I go out on the patio and wave at him to come up and I tell him I see smoke but I can't tell where its coming from. He comes in and checks everything too. Nothing. Then we notice that the digital clock display on the microwave (mounted above the stove) is out. Odd. Microwave doesn't work.

Not only that, the outlets on that whole side of the kitchen are out too. Fridge = out. We call apartment maintenance and the guy comes in. All he can deduce is that the wires in our circuit breaker box thing caught fire and melted because two of them were loose and probably touched. Hmmm...so reassuring. We have to wait until later this week for an electrician to come figure out what happened and how to fix it. Our fridge is working by an extension cord. Classy.

Today we notice we also have no garbage disposal and NO DISHWASHER. There is no love left for me in that kitchen. I'm just hoping the circuit breaker box doesn't spontaneously combust while we're at work or something. Stinky can't dial 9-1-1 yet and insurance doesn't replace ghetto dogs. I'm so miffed I have to wash my own dishes :(.


footer