Thursday, October 27, 2005
interview day
i had my interview at ASU today. It actually went very well. She actually told me that I was one of the top candidates she had and would be calling me on monday to let me know.

I have had a lot of interviews in my [relatively] short life. This would be my fourth job in three years since graduating from Valpo. For every job you get, there are about 50 that you applied for and 5 that you interviewed for. If I've learned anything from my massive interviewing experiences...it's this: You can't really tell from the interview if you got the job. They can even promise you the job during the interview and you might never hear from them again. Conversely, even the worst interviews may yield a job at the end of the resume-paved road.

During the interview for my job at the University of Michigan [GO BLUE!!] I did every classic mistake that you should never do in an interview. I was too honest, I discussed how much I hated a previous boss and called him a cheapskate, I described my hatred for my then current job, I told the interviewer I was getting married soon (none of his business really), and I really had no experience that he needed. And yet he called me back! It was a good job and we got along great...I'm really glad he took a chance on me. :)

So anyway, ASU. They are building a new lab that the PI will move into in January. It's SWEET. It's such a cool building that the university prez likes to bring important people by to peer in the windows at all the impressive research going on. It used to be that labs were build in separate rooms and you couldn't really see what was going on down the hall. The newest thing is to build it so that scientists can collaborate better. So now they build a long open corridor and put a million lab benches there and technically you're all in the same room. And you walk by Dr. X's bench on your way to see Dr. Y, and you see something interesting they are working on...you stop by...ask questions...boom!!! Collaborations~!

ASU's institute is cool because I will have to do a background check and FINGERPRINTs because I would be (if i get the job) working in a Biosafety Level 3 lab. Very cool! They also have Segways, retinal scanners, and much more cool stuff there. Besides that, the PI seemed REALLY nice. Very laid back and ok with training me.
So....I need to go to IKEA with Mary Ann because:
A. She's never been
B. They are having a sale
C. I love Ikea!!!

That's all for now, kiddies. Good Grief, its enough! Later!!


footer