Thursday, June 08, 2006
MySpace
Ahhhh Myspace. What an interesting little site. It's like Classmates.com on speed [and its free!]. I like to peruse and see what everyone is up to. It's amazing what people will put on the internet. In a few short months since I "joined" I've seen one former high school classmate in her foundations and a former [male] biology lab partner in a form-fitting dress and makeup. Who would've thought???

It doesn't seem like it's been that long since graduating from college, let alone high school. Some people are just now getting married. Some already have several kids. The good-looking high school soccer player? Bald. The pretty/anorexic girl from choir class? Fat. The nerdy girl who liked horses? She got contacts, a haircut and got pretty. Former teammate? Still with his 10th grade girlfriend. English class Goth Girl? Wears pink now. Quiet history class guy? In a band!

Then there is the whole dynamic of making -and keeping- "friends." You have to get approval before the title of "friend" can be bestowed upon you. There are those moments of uncertainty when you aren't sure if they will remember you and "reject" your request. There is also the "message diss" where you send somebody a message, perhaps to say hello or to ask a random (non-sexual) question, and they never write you back. Or the disappearing friends! One day they are there, the next...gone! Annoying bulletins, threats to delete you if you don't leave a comment once a week, crazy profile skins, it goes on and on!

It is really great getting to re-connect with people you once knew. It reminds you of how far you've come, how much you've changed. I still have people I would like to "find" and for now I just have to wait for them to make a profile. I know there are weirdos and less-than-desirables checking out my profile too. I know. I just don't really care. So keep looking people. It's what makes MySpace go 'round.


footer