Thursday, March 30, 2006
the week is almost over
What a week! My experiments are not turning out as I expect them. I am certain to develop a repetitive strain injury from pipetting all day long. Hunching over a bench full of petri dishes sounds glamorous but it's no cup of tea. And what is the deal with everyone thinking researchers make bank?? It is a MYTH. Luckily I like what I do so I will tolerate it for a while.

I found out this week I am NOT eligible for the statewide public employee pay raise. Major bummer. Apparently I am destined to be scraping the bottom of the salary barrel for a while longer.

I also set some paper towels on fire earlier this week. Sounds wimpy...except that they were soaked in Ethanol and my (gloved) hand was on them when they ignited. Luckily it was early and nobody was in the lab quite yet. Luckily I have set things on fire before and have had practice extinguishing flames with odd objects that lie nearby. Luckily ethanol removes the dark ashy burn color off of the linoleum!!! And lastly, luckily, we have air freshener in the lab so I can make a quick recovery.

Evan and I have an eye appointment tomorrow and maybe I will be getting contacts. I've never worn them before so its a bit scary. But maybe if I could see what I was doing...I wouldn't be quite a walking hazard.


footer